Thursday, August 5, 2010

August 3 - 5

So I haven't posted in a few days, primarily because there hasn't been much to post on. Quite honestly I cant remember what happened on Teusday (Aug 2), i guess that goes to show sometimes there is just not much going on around here.

Anyhow, yesterday I got to spend some time on the weapons systems along with the privates. So basically I learned how to assemble/disassemble the .50 cal, the 240 coax, and the M-9. *boredom warning* (I think i'm going to write that everytime i'm about to unleash a bunch of technical military jargon that you might not care about) The .50 goes on the Abrams right above the tank commanders (TC) hatch, with the TC being either the PL, PSG, or an E-6. The coax is actually inside the tank with a firing port right next to the 120 mm tube, and the other 240 B on the tank is right above the loader's hatch - basically the coax and .50 can be controlled from inside the tank by either the gunner or the TC using the aiming systems inside, while the other 240 machine gun can only be controlled when standing up with your head outside the hatch. The tank also has two grenade launchers on either side of the turret, because it really needs more firepower. seriously.

So anyhow, yesterday I got a cold and was exhausted because I, for some random reason, hadn't been able to sleep the last two nights. So I went to bed at 1730 and slept till 0430. Getting eleven hours of sleep works wonders for your sleep, and also serves as an excuse why I didnt answer anyone's emails yesterday.

Today we did a little more weapons training, and my PL introduced me to/enlisted me as his slave for all his paperwork. I treated it as a learning experience, even though all of the sergeants were giving my PL a really hard time for making me do his paperwork for him.

Oh yeah, thats what we did that was exciting Tuesday - I talked to my Company Commander for an hour after the training meeting all about what I wanted to branch, where I should pick my first station, and generally how to structure my career to get into SF/Delta. So Tuesday wasn't actually a waste, I actually learned a lot in that hour of instruction.

Otherwise not much going on. I have a meeting with the battalion commander tomorrow (its just sort of a welcome meeting for everyone) and we should head out to Munich around 1700. Then we'll be in Munich for the weekend, hopefully I'll be able to make it to Dachau, and hopefully enjoy more of the German culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment